WHAT HAPPENED 100 YEARS AGO
IN THE POINT PLEASANT AREA - 1902
Taken from the local newspapers of the day
- Cincinatti Avenue (Rt. 35 north) is opened this year between
Forman and Arnold Avenues.
- A new local Building and Loan Association is formed (now Ocean
First Bank). The Directors are J.F. Conover, J.M. Vannote
and Joseph Backes.
- Point Pleasant Harware Company opens April 1 in their new
building at Arnold and Richmond Avenues.
- The M.E. Church (now Harvey Memorial) installs electric
- A baseball diamond is laid out east of the railroad between
Arnold and Central Avenues.
- The high school graduates three at commencement exercises at
- St. Peter's Church is dedicated by Bishop McFaul, even though
the building is not yet completed.
- Plans are presented for a new railroad depot similar to the
Elberon and Lakewood stations.
- The famous Resort House hotel is renamed Warwick Arms this
- Work progresses on the new county road between Lakewood and
Point Pleasant (today Route 88).
- The 277 acre Cook Farm is sold for $61,550.
- A 1-horse mowing machine is used by Point Pleasant Beach to
cut grass along the roads and sidewalks.